FBL Gyro 180 Cfx From Hell

This certain Heli has had every part changed at least three. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the gyro and the ESC. I just did a total rebuild and put anti-vibe tape under the gyro. I took it out the fly I pulled it up brought it up slow about 10 feet off the ground and started moving forward and all the sudden it's like it just hit elevator backwards and started going backwards I had to lay it down before it just smashed into the wall busted another pair of skids none of the linkages broke nothing I can't figure it out. I had all the electronics removed from the helicopter and bench tested it. Is there any way to figure out if something is wrong internally with these two parts

Tony

Staff member
Only way I know of is to replace them and see. If that is not it, then you have spares. But from what it sounds, I'm thinking gyro. But that is just a guess.

I was going to send it to Horizon Hobby cuz I'm totally disgusted with this certain Heli but you're probably right since there's only two items left I might as well finish the project just buy it and do it myself.

Tony

Staff member
I would compare the cost between buying the gyro and sending it in. Give them a call and see what you can get done for the cheapest price.

murankar

Staff member
There is a chance the gyro could be faulty. If your going to replace the gyro I would just get the ikon2 mini. I bit more money but we'll worth the quality in the end. Way more options to play with.

I do have a Ikon micro the problem I have four 180s to factory one link stretched and one rake on belt drive with links parts as you can see I'm still building the two custom ones

Attachments

• 15116302921642048247563.jpg
    15116302921642048247563.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 4

murankar

Staff member
Yeah those little guys get expensive to fix. Can't believe you have 4 of them. I can barely afford to keep one flying. To be completely honest I think my 570 is cheaper to keep flying over those little guys.

That is hilarious and absolutely completely true I was just looking to buy a 570 off one of the guys in the Forum but he sold it you are right it would be cheaper. Lol

murankar

Staff member
Lee travarthan had one but I am not sure if he still has it for sale. It's a great heli. I love mine.

You know I gave it one more test flight under close scrutiny now I kind of think it might be the ESC beings that it flew fine for about 45 seconds and then it goes into like the motor speed it up turned off and then came back on and threw the helicopter out of control thank God I put it down for a soft Landing in the grass on the side and didn't break more parts but I'm going to change the ESC and rearrange a couple of the parts to see which one it is I'm not going to send it in it cost $12 to ship one way and then plus the part and the cost of them working on it it's not worth it

Kind of a update and a safety tip so I took the tail blades and Main blades off and spoiled it up and put it on Full Throttle while I was holding it in my hand and trying to see if the ESC or the gyro acts up I was wiggling it around all of a sudden the main grip and feather shaft just blew apart and hit the wall so hard I still haven't found all the pieces but it goes to show you that could have hit me in the face that these helicopters are are no joke and you have to always have caution on the other note I think it was my head causing all the trouble lol just to let you guys know I put new feathers shaft and Main grip bearings and dampers I use Loctite but to be honest I only took one side of the Feathering shaft screw out you know how the other side's always tight and I never checked the other side from the factory but I did Loctite my side

Attachments

• 15117157410121643523480.jpg
    15117157410121643523480.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 2

xokia

Question does this heli have vibe issues? I do not have the 180cfx so I’m not that familiar with it but I have had multiple blade Helis and some problems are fairly common.

Does you heli have a carbon main shaft or steel? If it’s carbon try replacing the main shaft. Carbon shafts can get hair line cracks that will cause crazy vibes.

I’d also replace the tail shaft as they can also get hair line cracks

Top Bottom