Servos 180°

Dieseldoctor

My ongoing problem with servo travel.... I need a servo with 180°, but can't afford a tx with 150% overdrive. Solution _ disconnect the pot from the servo, and connect a remote pot linked to the part that is moving. It works on the bench, just needs fitting to my tipper truck.

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. Post up some pictures of the setup when you get it going! And what are you needing a 180º servo on?

Dieseldoctor

I am making a tipper mechanism for a truck. There is not room for a standard servo, so I have to use a miniature servo, but to get the power needed to lift a full tipper body I need the servo to throw 180°.
Also, I want to use a 3 ch tx, but my tx 3rd ch is only full + / full -. The tipper body rotates through 90°, so with a 2/1 linkage, the power is right for the job. The remote position pot is connected to the tipper body, so the modified (to 360°) servo thinks it is a 180° SIMPLES!

Tony

Staff member
Nice! Be sure to post up some pictures of the project when you get a chance. This sounds pretty interesting.

murankar

Staff member
I was wondering if you would be able to use two sservos with some mixing or a y harness to achieve your 180 degrees. Abused on your drawings it appears you might be able to.

Dieseldoctor

I've found the solution to the 180° servo problem - I've used a 360° continuous rotation servo to make a screw jack with the innards of an insulin syringe. This powers the tipper body. Another servo had the motor and gears removed, and this controls the limits of travel. I am well pleased with myself!!! Movie clip to follow when I work out how to shorten it

Attachments

• _20181025_152939.JPG
    _20181025_152939.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 6
  • _20181025_152849.JPG
    _20181025_152849.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 6
  • _20181025_152806.JPG
    _20181025_152806.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 6

Tony

Staff member
That is an awesome idea. I would have never thought to modify a servo into a screw actuator. Like Ivan said, I can't wait for the video of it working!

Tony

Staff member
You have to upload to youtube and then post the link here. We don't have the server space to host videos ourselves.

Dieseldoctor

That is an awesome idea. I would have never thought to modify a servo into a screw actuator. Like Ivan said, I can't wait for the video of it working!

The idea of making a screw actuator from a 360° servo is not mine - I got the idea off utube. I developed the idea of the remote position sensor myself, and instead of using commercially available brass lead screw and nut, which needs metalworking facilities, I just used what I had available, namely the coarse threaded plastic rod and nut from an insulin syringe.

Top Bottom