1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Hey Guest, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Quad 18-30 amp esc's????

Discussion in 'Multi-Rotor' started by wolfman76, Feb 22, 2013.

1. wolfman76

wolfman76 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    basic laboror for the moment till i can find sumth
    i will be using the fm-4008 fpvmanuals motor on my next quad Sam(breeze400) has told me i only need 18amp esc's... my question is has anyone heard of or used these esc's black mantis 20 amp esc's with built in bec...
    Black Mantis 20amp esc speedcontroller
    or does anyone else have any other suggestion on decent esc's for this quad i still have not decided wether it will be the qav500 or the team blacksheep quad both can be used for fpv... i was also looking at the castle creations thunderbird esc's also...

2. Tasajara

Tasajara Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Extreme Sports Instructor
    I have 20A flashed ESCs on mine. The limiting factor is the room between the frames, which is 11mm. Bigger ESCs have bigger Capacitors which tend to be too large to fit. Some people have removed the Caps from the bigger ESCs and replaced them with one big one soldered direct to the Circuit board frame.
    Craig, would the 4S not have less Amps draw than the 3S? For the same configuration of course.

4. Tasajara

Tasajara Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Yep higher Voltage with less amps will give you the same Wattage.. as lower voltage and higher current same wattage.

P (power)= V(voltage) x I(current)

500 watts = 14.8 v * 33.8 amps
    as
    500 watts = 12.6v * 39.7 amps

I do also have a setup with 20 amp esc's on 4s, but they are in open air. They tend to stay cooler.
    My self I was not sure what all equipment I would end up with on my QAV, so as I said I went for the higher
    rated esc. Just to have a cooler running system if I loaded it down with extra cameras and larger RX and battery.
    20 amp would be fine if that is what you want to use.
    I have also used these on my 4s Spider Quad.. SK-20A SimonK Firmware Multicopter Speed Controller ESC 20A
    with this motor... Avroto 2814 Short Shaft

34.JPG

34.JPG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013