Batteries 11.1v 2200mah

I have conflicting opinions here , some guys are saying the charge rate should be 2.2a and others say 4.4a ? I'm wanting to get them charged as quick as I can Safely , thanks guys

Tony

Staff member
On the back of the battery, or maybe the front, it's going to tell you the Max C Charge Rate that you can charge the pack at. a 1c charge rate is 2.2a, a 2c charge rate is 4.4, 3c is 6.6 and so on. Hope this helps.

Ok Tony I can only see 1 of my 3s batteries as Velcro is stuck on them but the 1 I can see say 3c capable , however on the 6s it says a charge current of 5c ? So the 3s can handle a 6.6 charge current and the 6s an 11 charge current , is that correct ?

Tony

Staff member
It's all going to depend on the mah of the pack. If the 3s is 3c, then that is correct. And I'm not sure what size the 6s is. Just take the total mah, divide by 1000 and multiply by the c rate and that will give you the max charge rate.

murankar

Staff member
Brands will vary. I know my gens ace can handle 5c. I charge at 5 amps because that's all my charger can handle. My 2200 mah packs take about 40 minutes at average of 4.5 amps.

Well over a year ago I found a site that listed the charge rates of batteries based on brand. I couldn't tell ya what site it is today.

When in doubt charge at 1c and you'll be safe.

Ok muranker thanks dude , so even though your charger can put out 5v u still charge your 2200s at 4.5v yeeh? And if so why don't u charge them at the full 5v? Thanks dude

Tony

Staff member
I'm pretty sure his charger is a 50w charger, and at 11.1-12.6 volts DC, it will only put out about 4.2-4.3 amps max.

murankar

Staff member
Actually its 5 amps. My charger is a basic 50w charger. The most I can charge at on 3s is 5 amps. I set it at 5 but the charger will actually charge a 4.5. What happens is on the very start of the charge it will say 5 amps, but as the mah are replaced it will automatically lower the amps to the battery. Once I get to the balance stage it will supply .1 amps as needed to balance the cells.

My charger is the thunder ac6.

Ok Tony , I've just purchased a 50w charger and it has a max of 5amps , again I'm on a learning curve but I thought u had to keep the amps even , ie 2.2 , 4.4 ect

Tony

Staff member
50w @ 11.1 volts DC = 4.50 amps

50w @ 12.6 volts DC = 3.96 amps

It's impossible for a 50w charger to reach 5 amps on a 3s battery. You can set it to 5 amps, but it will only put out a max of 50 watts which will vary as the battery gains voltage.

Thanks muranker that makes sence , I also have a basic 50w charger so I will set it to 5amps and see how it goes , thanks again dude

So now I can monitor my lipos I shouldn't discharge the more than 80% so there should be about 1v left in each cell after use is that right ?

Tony

Staff member
no no no! the 80% is for the mah. What you want to do is run the battery for about 4 minutes, then recharge it. If the mah you put back into it are more than 80% of the total mah, then you need to lower your times. If they are less, then you can extend your times.

If you run a lipo below 3.2 volts per cell, you will damage the battery beyond repair.

Slobberdog

As Tony has pointed out above you should not drain the battery voltage to much, if you go below 3v per cell your charger will not charge it.

I run 11.1v 2200 3s batteries in my 450 pro and set my time at 5.30 mins I put back into mine about 55% at 3.75v per cell so I could go longer with mine.

Its a trial and error but start low and work up say in 15 second intervals and see how it goes.

Ok so I'm getting it now , I just ran 3 packs at 5 mins per pack , when I plugged the in there was 3.9v left , so I can up my flying time a bit it's that right ? Thanks slobberdog

Tony

Staff member
you will need to charge it to find out. Just look at the mah put back into it and see if it's 85% or not.

Top Bottom