Power Supply's 1000 Watt Power Supply Build Guide iCharger 306B EP Buddy Parallel Board Deans

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

1000 Watt Power Supply Build Guide Icharger 306b Ep Buddy Parallel Board Deans

Credit for the content of this video goes to Gaba. I meant to mention this in the beginning of the video, but I was so tired at the time that I completely forgot. And after the video was done, I just decided to leave it as is rather than put a finished product in the beginning of the video. Again, Gaba is the one that got me to purchase these parts and build this kit.

In this video, I show you how to modify and wire TWO HP server power supplies in series to gain 24 volts and over 1000w of power! This is a monster setup! I have paired this with the iCharger 306b and now, I'm set for just about any battery that you can throw at it.

As I state in the video, you do this at your own risk. There is a serious risk of electrocution by opening up these PSU's. There are capacitors that are charged inside the case and if you touch one, there is the potential that it will stop your heart. Again, you do this at your own risk! Rc-Help nor any of it's members or staff can be held responsible for damage or injury.

With that said, below is the video. Follow along and if you need any help, you know where to find us. I will be putting this setup in a case and I will make a new video when that is done.

Here is this charger setup charging 9 3s packs with two para-boards at 30 amps!

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Re: Article: 1000 Watt Power Supply Build Guide iCharger 306B EP Buddy Parallel Board

Finally, I did some more work on this charger setup. I have installed a port in the back of the case to plug a single wire into. I have also taken two power wires that I had, cut the end off of them and have them going from the plug, splitting, then going into each power supply. I just finished balancing 6 2200mah packs and it works GREAT! I do need to get some different plugs that the charger plugs into though. I think these are just a little thin.

This charger is getting there, slowly but surely.

Tony

Staff member
Just did something that I Have not done in a very long time. I just put a deans plug on my eflight charging wire, and I soldered it backwards! As soon as I plugged the battery in, the 306B let out one hell of a warning flashing "REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION!"

That is one feature I like. But hope to never have that happen again lmao.

murankar

Staff member
My thunder power does that too. I have had a few close calls. Would like to see pics. Although I think I have seen what you are talking about.

I have seen servers get plugged in through "Y" cables before.

Tony

Staff member
Re: Article: 1000 Watt Power Supply Build Guide iCharger 306B EP Buddy Parallel Board

Would like to see pics of what, the error, or the wiring?

I will try to get the cover finished and when I do, I will do another video on it. If it turns out the way I think it will, it's going to look sick.

murankar

Staff member

the pics of your cabling for your Y harness set up. It took me a minute to remember what I was talking about. Its been crazy here lately with the kids I am forgetting stuff now.

Tony

Staff member

It's a simple Y. I cut the end off of two wires, stripped them back, made sure of the polarity, and soldered both wires to a single plug so that I can plug it in from teh outside of the case. I will try to get some pics of the setup soon.

Tasajara

I got 2 in yesterday $30 shipped.... Woo Hoo. I did find some PVC Shrink that will work great to slip over both of the Power Supplies.
That way they will be as one. Four stick on rubber feet and will be good to go. I might later put it in a case but for now just use it as
a single unit.

Tony

Staff member

Sounds great Craig. Let us know how you like them when you start charging up some big batteries.

Tasajara

I have one already this will be my travel PSU :) But I will take a few pics and let you know how it turns out

Tony

Staff member

Cool deal. Make sure to do the fan mod unless you like the sound of a 747 in your living room lmao. With the fan mod, you hardly know they are on.

Tasajara

Here is How mine turned out...
Got my power supply finished, well all but putting the PVC Heat Shrink over it is being shipped.
Once I put the shrink over I will add some stick on rubber feet.
here are a few pics....

02 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG
While I had the cover off I used a cutting disk and cut the extra server latch off along with the clips
Just makes it look cleaner. And My heat shrink will look smoother when installed.
03 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG
What I couldn't get to I just pulled and the others snapped off
03-5-1000 Watt PSU.JPG

02 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

03 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

03-5-1000 Watt PSU.JPG

Tasajara

I used the servo plug idea as Tony did in his video I just did it a little different
I used 3 plugs and 4 wires

04 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

I tacked them together with a little CA, just have to be real careful not to get it where the pins fit in.

05 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

Now just plug the female pins in just as the pin layout on Tony's video.

06 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

Now just twist the wires together and solder, the orange wire is pin four for the fan mod.

07 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

After soldering clip the excess wire off

08 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

I added a little hot glue to help hold it together and insulate the wire.

09 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

Put a little heat shrink to cover the end, while hot just fold the end and press on a table
I did go back and put black on the blue one I did Looked better :p
While the heat shrink is hot you can fold it over and press on a hard surface to make it seal and be flat on the end

10 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

Now just plug them in. I did add a few dots of hot glue to make sure they stay in place
11 -1000 Watt PSU.jpg

Added my pig tails with 4mm bullets
13 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

12 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

I did back and add a 12 volt out put just in case I need it, Like power up an esc and motor combo ect..
14 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

I will get one more pic when I cover it with PVC heat Shrink and add the feet.

04 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

05 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

06 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

07 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

08 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

09 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

10 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

11 -1000 Watt PSU.jpg

12 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

13 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

14 -1000 Watt PSU.JPG

Tony

Staff member

I actually did my pins a bit different. I ended up just bending the pins over adn soldering all of hte pins together. You just have to be careful not to touch any of the other pins when you do this.

Your PSU's look great though. Can't wait to see your finished product. I have a lot planned for mine, I just can't seem to find the time to finish it lol.

murankar

Staff member

Cant wait to see the end result also. Looks real nice and I like the idea of the 12v out also. You could add a second 12v out on the other side too giving you even more flex ability of you needed it.

Slobberdog

Decisions decisions, do I get this set up or not, what I meen is do I go for the 1000w and the 306b charger or go for a 350w set up with the 206b charger, if I go for the later I will buy a power supply and no modding to do, or do I pluck up the courage and get the power supply's and mod them,

Tony

Staff member

Just depends on how many batteries you plan on charging and how much flying you plan on doing.

Slobberdog

Well I have 9 batteries for my 130x and have just ordered a par aboard for them, they are not the issue tho, and I have 5 for the 450 this is where I am falling down a little,

With the two power supplies what is the mod doing exactly, bare with me as I am not to good with electrics like that, is it just isolating the cases and can that be done with a wood separator for instance,

Tony

Staff member

Removing the DC ground pretty much means you won't have AC current flowing through the case if something fries on the board. As I'm sure you know, this can be deadly. Isolating the DC ground is very simple as I pointed out in the video. You just have to break the fuse links, and isolate that one screw. I would not use a separator plate since if something does go wrong, you may inadvertently touch both cases with your hand leading to a horrible result.

And a 2c charge rate for those 2200's is 22 amps. The 206 can only handle 20 amps.

It's completely up to you, but I would opt for the larger charger just so you know you have enough for the future.

Slobberdog

Yeah have been tossing the idea around for a while, well since you done yours anyway.

Have been considering a quad charger but those are limited to around 80w per channel or 6a per channel,

Top Bottom