Cars 0.32 Kyosho Nitro Engine.

Hi guys, I have recently broken in the engine of my new buggy. I have tuned the high and low needles to keep operating temperatures at about 110 Celsius degrees. My problem is that most of the times especially when the engine is cold, when I apply a little bit of throttle the engine dies. I have to apply the throttle gently enough so that the engine won't die. When the engine reaches operating temp there is no problem at all. But every single time I start the engine I have this problem. A bit of throttle and the engine stops. What may be the cause of this? Is the low end needle too rich? Or the idle screw needs adjustment? And something else. If we assume that the throttle range is 0-100%. In what percentage does the low end and high end needle works? Is the low end needle from 0-50% throttle and the high end from 50-100% ? Or the low end needle does all the job from 0-80% throttle and the high end needle starts its operation from 80-100% throttle? I have heard different aspects for this.

Tony

Staff member
I need to get out there and get a tuning video done for nitro lol. I have been meaning to do this for years. One of these days.

It dying when cold is pretty normal. It is loading up a lot easier and thus killing the engine.

The way to check if the low speed needle is set is to pinch the fuel line about an inch from where it enters the engine. Once pinched shut, it should take 3 seconds for the engine to die. Any sooner and the bottom is too lean, any longer and the low speed needle is too rich.

But remember, the high speed needle will also affect the low speed, so check this after you are done tuning the high. And the same is true in reverse. If you lean out the low speed, then keep an eye on your temps as they may go up slightly. This is more common on a rotary carb vs a slide carb though. Not sure what one you have.

Its a slide carb I am running. But what percentage of throttle does the low speed needle affects and the high end keeps going from there?

Top Bottom